2014年7月8日星期二

[Chinese story-2] Nuo


Her name is nuo, which means ‘commitment’.
In China, each name of ours has a special meaning and sometimes we even consider it as a sign of destiny. After I was born, my parents felt that a single child would be lonely and it would be miserable for me to play alone, so they hoped to have a baby girl to be my company.
Unexpectedly, this company has become my enemy.
Nuo was two years younger than me, but twice as smart and twice as pretty than me. People who saw us at first sight would say, “hmmm, Nuo is definitely the PhotoShop-version of her brother.” This was true. Enlarging my eyes, making my face and mouth smaller, my skin smoother and whiter, adding one dimple on the face, and putting on long hair, that would be her.
She replied, “not only me are photoshop-version of your face, everybody is.”
I was angry, “if you were not my sister, I would..”
“Mum, he wants to hit me. ” As usual, she escaped and sought protection from my mother even before I had finished speaking.
We never lookd alike . From primary to high school, she was like a shining campus star, and always invited to sing or dance in different parties. She was so popular in our school that nearly everybody knew her, and they would call me “Nuo’s brother” accordingly.
That was humiliating to me. Only after every examination, my father would talk to her seriouly, “it’s good that you are talented on singing and dancing, and we are also proud of you, but study always comes first, you should learn from your brother...”
At this time, I would laugh and pull a face to her, and of course, she would give me a black look secretly.
Everytime when relatives and friends visited us, she would act very cute and sweet, thus receiving loads of compliments. We started to vie with each other for everything, including TV remote, snacks, toys, and even toilet access.
A little sister? Just a nuisance.

Everything changed when I was in the third year of high school, Nuo was in first year.
She had grown up into a beautiful and attractive girl, and received hundreds of love letters. One day, I was busy in studying in the library, making ready for the college entrance examination, when my mobile phone rang suddenly.
It was Nuo. She was crying dowm the phone, and her voice was mixed with fear. Without any hesitation, I ran to the resturant in just 10 minutes and had a fight with those two harassers.
When we stepped out of the hospital, I was wrapped like a half-mummy. She cried in my arms for the first time, and for the first time she called me “old brother”.
On my birthday party, when I caught her kissing with one of my best friends Feng, I started to realize that Nuo was already a grown-up lady.
That night, I toasted to Feng again and again. I was deeply drunk in the end, and the next day, I was told that the whole night I repeated only one sentence to Feng for nearly 100 times, “Feng, never, never, never hurt her.”
However, after 3 months, they broke up. I held her in my arms and made a promise to myself, “I will protect her for all my life.”
From then on, I seemd to understand how to be an old brother and what are the responsibilities of a man. I found a part time job, and tried to buy everything she liked with my salary, and protect her like an old hen.
 We used to share the same womb, the same home, having the same family name. Everytime when I looked at her, I felt like I was looking at another myself, another possiblity of my life. If possible, I would give her everything I have.

In the winter of 1980, a young couple welcomed their new born son happily, and they committed to give him a little sister to play with him, but with the one-child policy, they were coerced into an abortion.
Nuo never existed in the real world.  

没有评论:

发表评论